Sunday 24 October 2010

Playing with colour :)

Hello bloggers!! :)

Well, it certainly didn’t get any warmer after my little rant about the weather the other day so I won’t even bother mentioning the appalling cold I was greeted with when I stuck my head out from under my duvet today... :[ lol

As my title suggests, I’ve been having a play with my inks this week and trying a new technique which I’ve been seeing around blogland this past few weeks...and I really enjoyed myself!! :) Again!! :) I’ll probably jinx it by saying this but I’m really having fun with my crafting again at the mo’ after a patch of struggling to get anything made and not much liking the results, which was preceded by another patch of really enjoying myself...so I guess it’s all cyclical and it’ll be back to struggling again soon but, until then, I’ll enjoy it all!! :) Does this happen to anybody else or am I on my own in strangeness again!?! :D

Anyway, on to the cards: They’re very simple really and I can only tell you what I did as I can’t really remember where I got the idea from or even how it was really explained...just that it involved masking with Post-It notes!! :) Think it may have originated in a magazine, though?

So I masked the shape I wanted with the Post-Its on the front of the smooth white card blanks (I made a few botched attempts before I gave in and measured so I stuck them on straight- measure twice, cut [Ink] once and all that!! ;) ) and used Cut ‘n’ Dry Foam to apply Distress Inks. Once that was dry I used a variety of stamps from Kanban’s Autumn Silhouettes and Spring Silhouettes with Onyx Black Versafine over the top :) And it was that simple- no cutting, no DS Tape/Foam pad backings to faff with- I love it, three cards I needed to make, plus a spare and I had fun making them (unlike usual with rushed ones!!) :)


I’ve made several using the same technique but different ink combinations- though one had to go in the post before I'd finished the others so it's not in this pic!! :)



This first one was Broken China and Dusty Concord- my two fav colours of DI...and just generally my two fav colours!! :)



The second had Broken China, Dusty concord and Spun Sugar with a very pretty tree stamp that's one of my favourites in the sets :)



The third had Broken China, Dusty Concord and Milled Lavender :)



And for this one I used Antique Linen and Vintage Photo with Vintage Sepia Versafine on a cream card blank just to try something different :) It’s one of my new Craftwork Cards blanks which I’ve not tried with DIs before and it wasn’t blending as well as I’d expected so I decided to play that up and make it a bit rougher looking, which I thought kind of worked with the more natural look of the colours and trees anyway. The border around the edges was made by turning the Post-Its around and inking outwards...not the original intention at all but desperate fix after I discovered I’d got inky finger prints on the edges of the card!! I like the effect though, so I’m quite happy it happened :) Not so happy about the smudges on the back that I can’t do anything about, though, and it always seems to happen when I ink base cards no matter how careful I am or what I put underneath to try to absorb the excess- any ideas on how to stop it would be much appreciated as I really don’t like giving, let alone selling, cards with smudges all over them!! :{

Oh, and nearly forgot- the sentiment on the brown card is Woodware Clear Magic Jane’s Script and on the others I used an old Whispers mini :)

I’d like to enter some of these cards in the following challenges: The first three (as one entry) with the Butterflies in: An Oldie But A Goodie – Add A Butterfly :) I’ve loved the concept of this challenge from the start as I have so many stamps and too many of them sit sadly neglected, but this is the first time I’ve been able to enter- all the stamps I used are at least a year old :) ; and Flutter By Wednesday – Open Challenge :) Again, a first time entry :) And I’d like to enter the last card, the natural colours one, in: The Stampman – Cards For Men :) ; and Cards For Men – Happy Birthday :)

I’m off to link these up and then have a cuppa :) Thanks for all the lovely comments on my card and jewellery for my Gran, they’ve really made me smile and helped me feel more confident in them as I get so nervous sometimes especially with giving my jewellery!! :) My dad gave her the jewellery yesterday and she called me straight away to say thanks- she was very happy- which meant so was I :) Hope you’ve all had a good weekend despite that horrible weather...that I’m still not bothering to mention, ofc!! ;)

hugs,

13 comments:

Danni said...

These are all so stunning, just striking! Thanks for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Vicky said...

Rachel these cards a truly gorgeous hun!, love the blending of colours and great images too,
hugs Vicky xx

Francesca said...

A great set of cards , thanks for joining us at Oldie but a goodie this fortnight and good luck!
Hugs
Francesca

Kay Carley said...

Such great cards. I love them!! Thanks so much for entering your last card into our theme of Men's Cards over at The Stamp Man :)

PinksyDoodles said...

Your cards are simply stunning. Thank you for joining us at Oldie but a Goodie.
Clare x

sparklingblackrose said...

I love them honey, they are really beautiful and different-well done :-)
Elaine-xxx-

coops said...

wow these are fantastic rachel.stunning stamps and colours.i love the trees, my fav colours :D

xx coops xx

pickle said...

These are all beautiufl but I ADORE the brown one..wow

Kerry x

Fleur said...

Oh, these are gorgeous, the backgrounds are lovely & the images create such impact
Thanks for joining our challenge at OLDIE but a GOODIE, hope you’ll join us again
Hugz Fleur xXx

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow fabulous cards - the backgrounds are ebautiful
Thanks for joining us at an Oldie but a goodie this fortnight
Lisa ;)

Kirsten...x said...

HI Rachel

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog...These are stunning cards such a great idea, and i love the colours hugs kirsten...x

Debs said...

Totally stunning!
Love them all.
Thanks for playing along with us at An Oldie But a Goodie.
Hope to see you again.
Good luck
Debs xx

liza said...

Oh Rachel i love all three of your cards they are all stunning,i have never tryed this technique but after seeing your fabulous results i miust give it a go,as for mojo mine does a runner all the time and then comes back in bursts so i dont think your alone on that one,thankyou for joining us this fortnight at OLdie But A Goodie,good luck with your entry and i look forward to seeing your creations on future challenges
love n hugs
liza
xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...