Sunday 15 August 2010

A little gift...box ;)

Hello again!! :)

I’m back again- I know, so soon!! ;-) Yesterday was one of those days when I just felt like doing something for the fun of it rather than moving straight on to the next thing on my list- I probably shouldn’t have as there’s enough to do to keep me more than busy but, well, you just need to sometimes, don’t you? So, I decided to try a quick little project inspired by the current Forever Friends Challenge, which is ‘Anything but a card, include a charm’…


I’ve made this sweet little gift box using a Papermania ‘Tulip Box ‘ Template with some striped paper from the Forever Friends Pink Parfait pad and some plain white cardstock of the same weight (160gsm but I think it could do with being a tad stronger, or at least the handles reinforced). I was intending to stamp a bear on the white card but when I actually put the box together the sides were far more curved over than I’d expected so I just randomly stamped it with some flowers from a Kanban stamp set, in Brilliance Orchid and Lime Green, instead! I decided it looked a bit flat- even though it’s 3D!- so I edged it with the Orchid ink and glammed it up a bit with some glitter glue on the flowers and the obligatory Clear Stardust on the stripes :) So that was the ‘not a card’ bit covered, now for the charm…


I decided this was the perfect opportunity to try out the Shrink Plastic that I bought years ago, put away in a box and forgot about, to make my own charm :) And I also tried out my brand new Nestie Blossoms, which I got a couple of weeks ago, for the first time- and I know I’m going to love these!! :) So I stamped the bear image on the Blossom shape in StazOn (is there anything else you can use on Shrink Plastic btw, ‘cos I hate that stuff and only use it if I have to- can’t stand almond/marzipan smell!! :S ) and coloured it with a mixture of Papermania Pens and Sakura Stardust spread with a waterbrush, then drew around the edge with more Stardust and punched a hole with my Crop-a-dile :) The actual shrinking didn’t go too badly for my first ever attempt- wasn’t so sure of that at one point but it got there in the end, apart from being just slightly squiffy looking!! ;) Then I attached it to a phone charm loop which I threaded through one of the handles of the bag- it can be removed easily so it’s like an extra gift after the box has been opened :)


A little look at the box before it’s folded up together where you can see the two pieces of paper stuck together instead of  a single cross shaped piece- more interesting, easier to cut and far less waste!! :)


This is the other side of the Shrink Plastic- the smooth side- I’m not sure which is supposed to be the front but, though this side makes the colours look brighter (I’ll put a bit more colour on the bear next time!!) it also seems to have some blemishes, perhaps from my tweezers!! You can’t see the glitter really, either, and I also like the slightly shimmery look of the rougher side, too!! :)


A shot of the template, which just appeared through my door on Thursday with the rest of the- much less interesting- post...who likes bank statements, after all!! ;) Turns out I won one of the giveaways in the last DoCrafts Mag!! :) I think it’ll make a good little box to give some of my jewellery pieces in and possibly even little tree decorations- with choccies in maybe!! ;) – at Christmas :) It’s been a good couple of days for crafty surprises as, when I popped over to see who’d won the last Crafty Cardmakers challenges yesterday, I discovered I’d come in the Top 5!! :D :D I was so smiley yesterday after that- and very excited to have another blinkie to add to my side bar!! :D And for the yellow and orange card that I wasn’t at all sure of at first, too- though I have to say it’s been growing on me since I posted it on here :)

Right, I shall go and link this up now then, hopefully, I’m going to go and sit in the garden for a bit and make the most of this slightly better patch of weather we seem to be having :) I really hope it lasts a while this time, it’s been so nice to have a bit of sunlight around after so long and not to be shivering at the chill in the air!! :) I hope you’re enjoying your weekends and getting some sun wherever you are too!! :)

hugs,

6 comments:

joanne wardle said...

Rachel that is gorgeous!!, thanks for taking part in the forever friends challenge. and yes you are allowed to enter more than one, and increase your chances of winning the prize, as long as all of the rules of the theme are followed, which you have done beautifully here!

good luck!

Lindsey said...

Gorgeous Rachael! Great minds think alike as i have been having a play with the shrink plastic too! Yours looks less squiffy than mine! Mine kept blowing away and my poor fingers are cooked! I love the little box too, that is a lovely template
Linds x

coops said...

wow this is gorgeous rachel.love the shape of the box and would be great to put little gifts in.your shrink plastic charm is fabby, shrink plastic is not my fav at the mo cos i warped my craft mat the other day trying some out,oops.lol.:)

xx coops xx

Sande said...

So lovely box! I love the colors!

Thanks for joining us this time at Forever Friends!

Hugs, Sande

Sandra said...

The box is great..Thanks for joining us this time at Forever Friends! Sandra

Poppy said...

really cute box.
Thanks for joining us at forever friends.
poppy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...